Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Gourmet Slushie Cakes a la GLEE

Here's where it started, people!

I bring you the very first "specialty" cupcake that I ever tried - the Slushie Cake! (aka - Gourmet Slushie Cake a la GLEE).

In my first post, I said that GLEE was my inspiration for this cupcake so I could eventually serve it at a GLEE party...and DID!

I, first, played with coloring the sugar. This is to help give that icy look & crunch to the slushie cakes. As I used the different colors, I was trying to imagine what flavors they might be for.

I then wanted to actually flavor the cupcakes themselves to taste like a slushie in cake form. And I did it for SUPER cheap! I have done orange, cherry, grape & lemon-lime. I can also do strawberry, berry blue, blue raspberry-lemonade, lemonade, limeade (even w/ cherry). Any ideas on what I use?

I would then place a VERY thin layer of white frosting on each cupcake, use Wilton's spray food coloring to give the color & then sprinkle the matching colored sugar on top. I have since figured out how to flavor my icing to match the taste of the cake. For those who have had them can tell you that one of these cupcakes really do taste like a slushie in cake form! Add a licorice whip for a straw & you have the cutest little slushie cupcakes!





*************************************************

1 comment:

  1. Guessing - Kool-Aid?
    [Erica you know me- Karin (Whedon) Ponce)]

    ReplyDelete