Saturday, May 28, 2011

Fried Sopapilla Cupcakes

When Cinco de Mayo came around, I was a little late in creating some fun cupcakes for it, but the inspiration gave me time to experiment & try for next year.

One of the things I thought of is a favorite Mexican dessert: SOPAPILLAS! So I wondered if you could fry a cupcake. That's right! I said FRY A CUPCAKE!

Well I was making some lemon-lime slushie cakes & some cornbread cupcakes for some friends, and I had some extra cornbread batter. I decided to bake the leftover seperately in a muffin pan without liners for experimenting in hot oil later.

I baked 'em up, heated my oil on the stove & fried the 6 cupcakes I made. As soon as I pulled them out of the oil, I dipped & rolled them in a cinnamon & sugar mixture. I sprinkled some powdered sugar on top & then drizzled some honey on them just before consumption.

I thought about using a simple white cupcake to fry to do this, but the cornbread ones came out REALLY well!!

My boys LOVED them & couldn't wait to try more...I guess I should be making some more pretty quickly. Time to fry up some more cornbread cupcakes!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I've never heard of this type of cake before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! Glad to attempt to put something new & different out there...

    ReplyDelete